Monday, July 1, 2013

The Way of the Spey

When I first saw spey anglers on the Maitland River, I was amazed at how fluid and smooth they were casting. Knowing nothing about it, I thought as beautiful as it was that the line looped across the river, it seemd like a lot of work to get the fly out there. I was a single hander at the time and fairly new to it still. I was not quite sold on the effectiveness of it for salmon and steelhead. I was getting more into the centerpin scene.

Fast forward to today, centerpinning will still and as I see it, always be the primary method for migratories but I have reached a point in all these years of chasing chrome that numbers are no longer the true reason I target steelhead. I understand from all the research and conversing with those that spey only, that my fish to hook ratio may decrease if I took up the way of the spey. I am good with that knowing that at the times when I feel the need for some self-affirmation of banking some decent numbers of fish, there is always the centerpin to fall back on, not that it would be a guarantee as there is no such a thing in fishing.



There is much to learn and I have all summer to practice. Hopefully this fall, I will be ready to take on a few of those freight train powered strikes as the fly swings across the tailout.

4 comments:

  1. Nice smallie there Gil! Can't wait to see you in action!

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jack. The Thames is looking to be the practice field for the next few weeks. You should " swing " by and join me out there.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. did a lot of swinging flies come summer time on the Maitland when I was 1st learning the Speycast and hey who says its used strickly for steelies nice bass man

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Red! I figured they would be a good target to get the swing thing right.

    ReplyDelete